Sunday, January 5, 2014

How To Make a Hand Stamped Suspended Bracelet




This is my first how-to post... feel free to ask questions and give me feedback!  I’m going to explain how to make a personalized, hand stamped, suspended bracelet.  Step 1: Pick your blank.  Choose a blank with enough gauge (mine is 18 gauge, nice and thick) and width (mine is about 13 mm).

image

Here’s the blank I chose:

image

Instead of ordering blanks with holes, I chose to place them myself (it allows for some more creativity).  This is a nifty little tool you use to screw a hole into a blank.  It has two sides, one that makes a 1.5 mm hole and one that makes a 2 mm hole.  I chose 1.5.  I got this from : http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/H203084TL.  I like it because you don’t have to squeeze hard, you simply turn.  So I marked where I wanted my holes with a pen, and then turned the knob to push the screw through.

image

On to hand stamping letters…  www.beaducation.com has a fabulous tutorial on their website on how to do this under their “Learn” tab.  If you’re getting into this, I highly recommend it!  Their products are pricy though, go to www.halsteadbead.com for better prices on blanks.
So I choose my letter and then position it so I can see its reflection in the blank to make sure it isn’t upside down or askew.  Then I use my hammer (I recently had one of these taken from me at the airport… whoops… expensive mistake) and give the metal letter around 13-20 good whacks.  I try to tilt it to make sure all the corners are good and clear, but it you tilt it too far, it will make an impression of the circle around the letter.  I used to put my metal slab (I don’t know technical words) on the floor to hammer letters, but it drives my neighbor below me nuts, so now I rest it on my knee and give it a few more whacks than I would on the floor. 
Once you’re happy with your impression, you can take a permanent marker and fill it in.  Use nail polish remover to wipe off the excess marker and you have a beautifully contrasted initial stamped.

image

Measure out the length of chain you’d like.  My total lenght is 7” and it fits loosely around my wrist but won’t fall off, so measure accordingly and make sure to include your blank and clasp.  Cut it in the middle so you can secure the blank to one side and half of your clasp to the other.
Use toothless pliers to secure jump rings to your chain.  You can also choose to wire wrap the blank to the chain.  I like a smaller jump ring because it gives it a cleaner look.  Avoid pliers with teeth so you don’t tear up the jump rings.

image

Use jump rings or wire wrap the chain to a clasp.  I chose a toggle. 

image

And the finished product… a delicate, minimal, hand stamped, suspended bracelet.  Thanks for reading!

image

No comments: