Thursday, January 16, 2014

What Jewelry Looks Best on Your Face Shape?

Sometimes I see a beautiful piece of jewelry on a friend and think, "How is she pulling that off?  That would look terrible on me but it looks fabulous on her!"  Certain colors, lengths and styles make one person look balanced and effortless, while they make another person look cumbersome and stuffy.  
I started thinking about how I naturally gravitate toward thin, dangling earrings that are probably too fancy for my job as a speech-language pathologist (but I wear nonetheless).  That got me thinking about this new blog post: what kind of jewelry looks best based on your face shape?  Here's a diagram that will help you figure out what shape your face most resembles:


I have a heart-shaped face, which means I have a wide brow and narrow chin.  The kind of earrings someone with a heart-shaped face wear best are long dangles.  Their objective is to balance their face, creating the appearance that the forehead is narrower and the jawline is wider while providing more length to the face.  Another person with this face shape is the breakout actress from the flick 12 Years a Slave: Lupita Nyong'o.  Check out the earrings she chose:


They add length which is great, but an inverted triangle or teardrop would have helped balance her a bit better.  Still - gorgeous choice!  I love the geometry and sharp angles of the triangle - gives her an extra edge.

Here's a shot of me and my sweetheart on New Years Eve 2012.  You can clearly see my heart-shaped face, and I have a badass pair of long gold dagger earrings on that helped lengthen me out:


Regarding necklaces, I go against conventional wisdom for heart-shaped faces.  I prefer to wear a long layered necklace that comes to a point, but people with heart faces typically look best with a short round necklace that helps soften the chin.  I like this long look partly because I'm so short - nice pair of heels and long layered necklace do wonders to lengthen me out!  If I were taller, though, I'd be able to pull of something art deco like what Reese Witherspoon has on: 


Next we have the round/square face.  The objective of this face shape is to lengthen its appearance.  A round face is about as wide as it is long.  Kirsten Dunst is a good example:


People with round faces do well with longer earrings, especially ovals and rectangles.  People with square faces look great in teardrop earrings!  I have a ton of those on my Etsy site : ) Julia Stiles is a case-in-point:

 
Women with round/square faces also look wonderful in longer necklaces that extend below the neckline.  As odd as Kristen Schall is, she nailed it with this necklace that helps add some length and point to her face: 



Moving on to rectangular/oblong faces!  Women with a rectangular face have a consistent width from the forehead, cheekbones, and chin.  They usually have slightly sharper angles than someone with an oval shape.  The objective for this face shape is to shorten its long vertical line.  Mona Lisa is a classic example:


Women with this face shape do best with short, round earrings (gold balls, diamond studs, pearls, etc) to contrast with the longer shape of the face.  Take, for example, Jessica Simpson wearing a classic pair of diamonds:


Women with rectangular faces do well with shorter necklaces, especially if they have a long neck.  A choker looks great, although they're not my preference.  I think a nice 16" chain with a pendant helps soften the chin and shorten the neck and face. Gwyneth Paltrow frequently gets this look with a shorter neckline on her dress, but a short string of pearls would achieve the same effect.  I really like how she uses the neckline on the black dress to add a point to her chin:



Finally, the classic oval shaped face.  A woman with this face shape has an equal distance from the hairline to the eyebrow and from the eyebrow to the chin. It's considered the "perfect" face shape: it is slightly longer than it is wide, and can wear almost any neckline or jewelry style.  Lucy Liu is a great example:


She can wear whatever she wants and she'll look fabulous in it!  I've gone back and forth on Zooey Deschanel's face shape, but I'm deciding that she has an oval face.  Sometimes it looks rectangular.  What do you think?



Let's end with the queen of comedy, Tina Fey.  Tina Fey looks fabulous in any jewelry!  I love how she chose to wear bright dangle earrings that really pop against her dark hair:


What experience have you had with your face shape?  Do these rules hold true for you, or would you modify them?  Feel free to email me (landonlacey@gmail.com) pictures of yourself with a description of your face shape and why you chose the jewelry you did, and I'll add it to this post!  

4 comments:

Zoo Keeper said...

While I largely agree, the outfit or style of my hair can have as much impact on my jewelry choices as the shape of my face. Interesting post!

Landon Lacey said...

I was thinking the exact same thing! I think it can affect how I view my face shape too : )

rajsi said...

Fabulous!!! its looking amazing i have never seen such like before..checkout my latest blog about Tips to Look As Beautiful as Ever

Cbraxton said...

I sent you an email yesterday.