Saturday, January 11, 2014

Shop Exposé: String a Strand on Wells

Today my friend Katy and I went to String a Strand on Wells, a fabulous little jewelry supply store in Old Town in Chicago (String a Strand).  It's a great local spot with an eclectic mix of jewelry supplies, finished jewelry, and accessories.   As soon as I moved to Chicago, I scouted out places near me that I could use to pick up some unique pieces, so I walked around and found this little gem.  It's in a great area for food - I LOVE the Italian spot Topo Gigio nearby.  It's also around the corner from Chicago's famous comedy venue Second City.  Here's the store:


I love how the store is laid out with little dishes full of treasures.  They have some really unique pieces!  My favorites are tiny hedgehogs that I put on a gold chain.


Dajana, the owner of the shop, has her own handmade jewelry for sale throughout the store.  She specializes in gorgeous gold necklaces that look wonderful layered with other necklaces.  She has a great idea for displays: velvet over cork board in a frame. 


Here's another shot of her handmade jewelry:


 Dajana also has some beautiful accessories throughout the store, like masquerade masks:



One of my all-time favorite stones is druzy agate.  She has a great selection of gold plated druzy chunks in various shapes and sizes.  She has these in a million colors - definitely worth checking out!


Katy and I had a ton of fun poking through her gems and wound up finding some little treasures to take home and incorporate in our Etsy shops.  Check Katy out at www.etsy.com/shop/catekatan!


Katy found a beautiful strand of gemstone beads.  I'll post what she makes with them once she puts something together!  I got some charms for gold necklaces (the aforementioned hedgehogs, a pineapple, and a ballerina).


Here's a shot of some of her charm necklaces.  She has these in numbers as well:


Overall, it was a very successful trip to a local Chicago jewelry supply shop!  Dajana has a great store with a beautiful layout.  I have a ton of respect for her grassroots shop - look out for my interview with her in my next blog post!



No comments: