Sunday, January 12, 2014

Interview with Dajana Markota: Owner of String a Strand on Wells



What I'm listening to: I and Love and You by The Avett Brothers

Yesterday I posted a photo blog of my trip to local Chicago jewelry supply store String a Strand on Wells with my fellow grassroots jewelry designer friend, Katy Katan.  Today I'm sharing my follow-up interview with Dajana Markota, owner of String a Strand.  Dajana put in a ton of legwork into making her dream of owning a jewelry supply store in a very competitive retail hub in Chicago.  Here's what she has to say:

Tell me a little about yourself - who you are, where you're from, what you love to do, etc:

My name is Dajana Markota I was born in Croatia, graduated from a business school, started jewelry making as a hobby that turned into my business.

Give me some background on String a Strand - how did it start, how long has it been in business, etc?


The store has been around for about 10 years.  Things were different back than, the economy was much better, it was easier to start and succeed, it still shouldn't stop anyone from pursuing their dreams, don't misunderstand me.

You're in an incredible location in Chicago (Old Town) - what made you choose this spot?

As they say Location Location most important part.  I don't know, somehow I just had this area on my mind, I remember coming here to Old Town and looking at a space that use to be a card reading place (psychic) and thinking to myself "that space would be perfect for my store," and my luck, in about a month, a confidential listing came out on the market for that particular space (unbelievable).  When I called the agent said it will be available next summer, they had to remodel the building.  I took it off the market the next day gave them whatever they asked for rent money :)

I had a whole year to organize and gather my inventory, this meant taking a lot of trips to different countries and hand selecting my merchandise.  All my displays are kitchen tables that serve as  my store display, wood bowls originally sold for dips and appetizers, they hold beads, tea candle holders, and so on, all designed and installed by me and my team.

I love how your store features both jewelry supplies and finished jewelry.  Who makes all the jewelry that's for sale?  Can people request custom pieces?

Most of the jewelry is made in-house.  We do outsource some, and also carry few other artists that use to be our students :)

Do you offer classes?

We do offer classes on jewelry making.  We also do parties, my website has little info about those, www.stringastrand.com.

What's the biggest obstacle you've overcome in owning your own shop?

Obstacle hmmm..... let me come back to that one.

How do you decide what to include in your shop?  Do you research styles that are trending?  Are there any websites you look at to figure out what's in style?

How do I decide what to put in my shop... what I like I buy haha, that brings me back to your previous question, I do have to buy things I don't like.  In the beginning I really was buying only things I liked, I did not want to carry dyed beads, plated findings; I wanted to carry high end merchandise, but my customers kept on requesting less expensive option, so I had to  go against my purchase choice and think from the customers' perspective and it helped my business grow, it really did.  Somehow we do stay on top of trends, through our travels, fashion shows, fairs, our customers, etc.

I'm so thankful Dajana had the determination and creativity necessary to start such a beautiful jewelry supply store in Old Town Chicago!  If you're ever in the area check her out at 1361 N Wells St, Chicago IL.  Thanks for reading!

www.stringastrand.com

No comments: