Monday, January 6, 2014

Local Scarves: An Interview with Bozena Strozik

In honor of the -12 degree temperatures here in Chicago, I interviewed a local grassroots artist who makes gorgeous handmade scarves!  Here's the scoop on BOZENA STROZIK:


Give me some background on yourself - where you're from, what you do, unusual interests, etc.

I was born and raised in a small town in Poland, my parents brought me and my two siblings to the States when I was thirteen with hopes of a better future.
 

I enjoy camping, traveling, reading, biking, cooking and of course crocheting. I love hanging out with hubby and spending time with our fourlegged baby BaBa.



How long have you been making scarves?

About 3 years

How did you initially become interested in handmade scarves?

I fell in love with chunky, oversized cowls. Instead of just buying one I was determined to teach myself  how to make one. I felt that it was the only way I was going to get exactly what I want. I found that crocheting is very calming and relaxing, I was hooked.






Hooked - that's funny : )  How did this move from a hobby to a business?

I had quite the collection of scarves and cowls, after giving a lot of them away to friends and family and getting lots of compliments I decided to give Etsy a try.

Check out Bozenna's Etsy link at the bottom of this post! 
What techniques do you use when you make these scarves?  
I don't know anything about knitting and crocheting... so fill me in!

I don’t really use any techniques, all of my scarves and cowls are made freehand with no patterns or stitch counting.  I usually think of something and go for it or just make it up as I go, this is why no two scarves in my shop are the same.



How do you choose your yarn (it's yarn, right?)  Where do you get it?

I choose my yarn by softness and thickness.  I enjoy most working with super bulky yarns  always making sure that it’s soft to touch.  My favorite yarn to work with is an Acrylic & Wool blend.  My go to store for yarn shop is Hobby Lobby, I also often visit Michaels.



What direction do you see this going in?

My ultimate dream would be to have my scarves in my favorite store FreePeople (www.freepeople.com)

Have there been any people or artists who have influenced you? 

My inspiration is the world wide web, I do a lot of research to stay o top of fashion and trends.



What's the most unconventional way a person could wear one of your scarves?

My infinity scarves can be worn as a bolero and most of my cowls are wide enough to be pulled down on the shoulders for some extra warmth.

What's your biggest feel-good story about your handmade scarves?  Something someone has said?  Something you've chosen to do with them?

One of my clients e-mailed me to tell me that she was stopped by a woman on the street because she had to know where she got her cowl from. That to me is the best compliment. I also enjoyed being able to donate 15% of my December sales to Child's Voice (www.childsvoice.org)

If you could see your scarves on any celebrity, who would it be? 

Rachel Zoe ☺

Thanks for a great interview Bozena!  You can find Bozenna's warm, handmade scarves at:

www.etsy.com/shop/BundleUpShop 

No comments: