Tuesday, January 14, 2014

South: Anna Spruiell's Success Story



One of the first stores in which I sold my jewelry was Blush Boutique, a wonderful little shop in Mt. Pleasant outside Charleston, SC that specializes in trendy adult and tween clothes.  Anna worked behind the counter at the time, and I loved coming in to bring her my new pieces because she was so much fun to chat with.  I was disappointed one day when I found out Anna had left South Carolina - then thrilled to hear she had decided to embark on a new adventure and open her own shop in Alabama: South.  Anna's shop sent a shockwave around Birmingham that I could feel from North Carolina.  She had a killer opening day (that I shamelessly stalked online), immediately had 1000+ Facebook likes, and somehow had an amazing lineup of fabulous indie designers (including me, I'm proud to say)!  Anna is a shining example of what it means to make grassroots grow!  Anna sat behind a counter in South Carolina ringing up sales... and knew she could make big things happen.  She had the guts to act on her dream, the determination to see it through, and the intelligence to make it thrive.  Anna's community has embraced her with open arms - her business has been a huge success and she continues to evolve as her business sense develops and the artists she features come out with new lines and new styles.  Here's Anna's account of her inspiring story:

My name is Anna Spruiell, and I am the owner and manager of South, an Alabama-based boutique that carries cutting edge women’s clothing, jewelry and accessories.

When I’m not at the store, I love to travel and spend time with my family. I had the opportunity to study abroad in Florence, Italy. It really opened my eyes to new experiences. I love meeting new people, seeing the world, and experiencing other cultures. There is a whole world out there that I am dying to see.

How did you get into the retail business?


After I graduated from The University of Alabama, I moved to Charleston, SC. I didn't know a single person there and was without a job. Ironically, my first day in Charleston, I met a wonderful family who offered me a job at their local boutique. For the next three years, I split my time working as a nanny and at a clothing boutique where I learned the retail business.




What brought you to Alabama?


I am an Alabama native but could never make the leap to move back home after college. My heart finally called me home when one of my family members fell ill and I knew I wanted to be there. I am very close to my family and I decided that I didn't want to spend another moment without my family and friends right beside me. I also felt it was the right decision to open my first store in Alabama – surrounded by my support group.

Growing up in Alabama definitely shaped my style and I wanted to reflect that in the overall feel of the store and designs I have selected for South.

What was your biggest disappointment and success story in the process of opening your own store?


The biggest disappointment was trying to open South without a penny to my name. My parents strongly urged me to go back to school but I insisted on opening my own boutique. I had to take out a loan at 24 years old with very little help. Everyone told me I wouldn't make any money and I would be paying back what I put in it for the next few years. Within the first month of opening South, I had paid everything off and was already making a profit.


What's the best piece of advice you can give other aspiring grassroots shop owners?


Follow your passion and work hard. Be prepared for the store to become your priority and make sure that you have the time to devote to it. I was literally at the store every night until 3 AM for the first 3 to 5 months.

What's the biggest lesson you've learned in opening your own shop?


It has definitely redefined my work ethic. Patience is also important.

What role has Social Media played in promoting South?

Social media has arguably been the strongest driving force in my business. We love to post our items on Instagram and Facebook. We are also looking into new opportunities on Pinterest.

How do you find the artists and vendors you want to feature in South?

I lived in Los Angeles and Charleston for a while and would find things in my favorite stores that had not made it to Alabama yet. We try to bring new lines/items from the west and east coast.


How has South evolved over the past year or so?

Over the past year, South has transformed from a small boutique in Trussville, Alabama with a local customer base to a popular online store that ships to customers all over the country.

What direction do you see South going in the future?

Right now we are considering franchise opportunities for South or expanding on our own. We've also looked at opening South at several locations outside the state of Alabama, but nothing to report just yet. Right now I am just enjoying my first store! Opening South has changed my life, and I so grateful for the opportunity to share the experience with our amazing customers, friends and family. We have the best customers who have helped make South so successful during our first year.

Be sure to check us out online at www.shopsouthboutique.com or stop by for a visit.

I found Anna's story so inspiring, I had to share it with the world!  Hope you've loved reveling in the success of a woman who had enough faith in herself to pursue her dreams and achieve so much more than she expected.  Just look what can happen with intelligence, passion and determination combine!


www.shopsouthboutique.com
www.etsy.com/shop/landonlacey


No comments: